Warm Chia Pudding with Caramelized Bananas
If you google the nutritional benefits of chia seeds, you’ll be blown away by how nourishing, wholesome and enriching they are in dietary fiber, calcium, protein, omega 3 fatty acids, magnesium, copper and a lot of other vitamins and minerals. They are hands down a superfood. And I, for one, love it in its pudding form which is how most of the people have it, I think.
I have always had colder chia pudding topped with various fruits, berries and nuts but now that winter is upon us, I wanted to have it warm with some complementary ingredients. This warm chia pudding is served with delicious caramelized bananas and lots of cinnamon powder. Any nut butter really goes well with this, so, I am using peanut butter. This combo is not only a delectable treat but also a nutrient-dense winter breakfast which honestly doesn’t take more than 15 minutes provided you have soaked chia seeds in milk the night before.
Serves 2 people
Cooking time 15 minutes
Preparation time Overnight (Soak chia seeds in milk)
- 1⁄2 cup of chia seeds
- 2 cups of milk (dairy or plant based)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1-2 ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon or daal cheeni powder
- 1 tbsp peanut butter, unsweetended
- In a glass jar, add half a cup of chia seeds and a cup of milk. Mix it thoroughly.
- Let it rest in the fridge overnight or for a minimum of 5 hours. You’ll know it’s ready when it has a pudding-like consistency and chia seeds have doubled in size.
- Add that thick pudding in a pan and add another cup of milk and cook it on low to medium heat until it has a consistency that you like. Add a tbsp of honey and mix well.
- For caramelizing the bananas, chop the bananas in thick coin-like slices. Grease a flat non-stick pan with coconut oil (can also use butter or ghee). Add banana slices and cook until lightly brown on both sides. Add honey over the bananas and sprinkle some cinnamon powder on top.
- Serve warm chia seed pudding in a bowl topped with caramelized banana, cinnamon powder and some awesome peanut butter. Enjoy!