After eating it my whole life, Chow mein is not what I thought it was. Okay! time for a little info session. In Chinese,
Veg lo mein is delicious when we eat or order it from outside but is mostly loaded with loads of oil, salt and often low-quality noodles. A lot of people assume that making lo mein or tossed veg noodles at home is an extensive process, demands a lot of time, fancy ingredients and utensils. I am here to debunk all those assumptions . The whole Veg Lo Mein recipe is made in just 15-20 minutes, needs just one pan or wok and requires ingredients like fresh veggies, noodles, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, all of which are easily available.
Serves 2 people
Cooking time 20 minutes
Veg Lo Mein Recipe
For the noodles and vegetables
- 150 gm pack of veg hakka noodles
- 2 cups of water
- 3 tbsp sesame oil *
- 1-inch ginger, grated finely
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1½ cup mixed vegetables, cut in long thin strips or in julienne cut (capsicum, carrot, mushroom, cabbage, broccoli, baby corn, fresh beans, spring onion)
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder (optional)
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
How to make Veg Lo Mein
For boiling noodles
- Add 2-3 cups of water in a pan and boil it. Add the noodles and let them cook for 5-10 minutes until they are soft.
- Drain the water out and wash the noodles under cold water. Doing this will help them not coook further.
- Add 1 tbsp of sesame oil the cooked noodles and coat it all over the noodles so that they don’t stick to each other.
For making the sauce
- In a bowl, add soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and sesame oil.
- Mix all ingredients well to make the lo mein sauce.
For making Veg Lo Mein
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp of sesame oil on low flame. Add grated ginger and sliced onions and saute for a minute. Add rest of the sliced vegetables and cook for 8-10 minutes stirring after every 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked or boiled noodles to the pan and mix well.
- Add the previously prepared lo mein sauce and mix well.
- Add salt, black pepper and red chilli powder. Mix and toss well so that the sauce and salt, pepper mixed well with the noodles and veggies.
- Garnish with spring onion and serve hot.
*If sesame oil is not available, use any other light oil instead such as sunflower, canola, peanut or olive oil.