Vegan Thai Tofu Soup with Veggies is a filling yet light vegan soup that is filled with aromatic flavours and is nutrient-dense. Ever since I had my first Thai meal (which was not long ago) in a restaurant, I was hooked and in love with the varied flavours. However, I always had a couple of misleading assumptions about Thai cuisine. One of them, which isn’t vegetarian or vegan-friendly and the other one was that it cannot be made easily at home, especially not without buying a lot of fancy ingredients. Needless to say, I was not very right in my assumptions as a lot of Thai food is naturally vegan and it is made with easily available ingredients.
As mentioned before, Vegan Thai Tofu Soup with Veggies is very light but only in terms of texture. It is very filling and satiating thanks to the rich dosage of protein, dietary fiber, and healthy fats. This Vegan Thai Tofu Soup with Veggies is a complete main dish in itself and is a perfect dinner option, especially in winters. But, if you’re looking for something to serve it with, it goes really well with rice or pad thai noodles. If you like this recipe, you might be interested in other soup recipes on our blog.
Serves 2 people Yields 2 cups of soup
Cooking time 25 minutes
Vegan Thai Tofu Soup with Veggies Recipe
- 1½ tsp coconut oil
- 5-6 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1-inch ginger, grated
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced finely
- 100g tofu, cubed
- 1 tbsp unsweetened, peanut butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (skip if using sweet peanut butter)
- ¾ to 1 cup of sliced veggies like cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, cabbage
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- Pinch of salt
- A handful of coriander leaves for garnishing
How to make Vegan Thai Tofu Soup with Veggies
- Firstly, in a pan, add 1 tsp of coconut oil and sauté garlic, ginger, and onion on low to medium heat until they are golden brown and aromatic.
- Then add soy sauce, vinegar, peanut butter, and maple syrup. Mix all ingredients well to form a nice and thick sauce. Just do this for less than a minute as we don’t want it to overcook and develop a burnt taste.
- Next, add coconut milk and water.* Mix well. Cook this for 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, on another flat pan, add ½ tsp coconut oil and roast the cubed tofu, sprinkling a pinch of black pepper powder and salt on the top, over low to medium heat until they are slightly brown on both sides.
- In the soup, add slices veggies. Stir and coat the veggies with the soup sauce well. Cover the pan and cook the soup on low flame for 5-6 minutes so that the veggies are cooked in the sauce well.*
- Add roasted tofu, black pepper powder and lemon juice in the soup. Mix well and take the pan off heat.
- Serve hot and garnish with coriander (dhaniya) leaves.*
- Add more water if you want the soup to have a thinner consistency.
- In this recipe, the veggies are not cooked all the way as I like then a little crunchy in my soup. If you like them cooked properly, boil or cook them before adding them to the soup.
- You can also garnish this soup with roasted peanuts.