These Vegan Corn Fritters are loaded with wholesome veggies, herbs, and spices. It’s cooked in very little oil and makes for a quick snack or a light meal.
How would you describe a good fritter? Crispy, delicious, a little spicy, and served with a creamy condiment? Well, this Vegan Corn Fritter checks all the boxes. Corn fritters are usually made using eggs and cheese but in this recipe, you won’t miss either of those. It’s a healthy and quick savoury snack that is loved by adults and kids alike. It’s full of veggies, herbs, and flavourful spices so feel free to add fresh seasonal veggies of your choice.
What binds the mixture together are all the different flours such as besan or chickpea flour, cornflour, and all-purpose flour. Also, add spices of your choice to add a depth of flavour to these Vegan corn fritters. Here, I added red chilli powder and garam masala but other good ones could be cumin, coriander, and garlic powder.
Why should you make Vegan Corn Fritters?
- Full of wholsome veggies
- Cooked in very less oil and not deep-fried
- Eggless and dairy-free
- A quick yet delicious savoury snack or appetizer
Tips and Tricks
- To make fritters crispy – to make these fritters crispy make sure to salt the grated veggies. Let them sit for 15 minutes until they release water and look soft and wilted. Squeeze out any extra water as well. The less moisture there is, the less soggy the fritters are going to be. Also, add cornflour. If you’re out of cornflour, add either rice flour or arrowroot.
- Leftover fritter mixture– Ideally, the mixture should be cooked right away. Any leftovers can be refrigerated for 2 days. If the mixture releases water, add more flour accordingly.
If Indian pakoras and savoury pancakes/chillas had a child, it would be fritters. They can be deep-fried or pan-fried depending on your liking. These are popular in America.
Definitely, to do so preheat your oven at 200°C. Line a baking sheet, add around 3 tbsp of fritter mixture. Bake for 10 minutes on each side.
Yes, you can. Drain the canned ones completely. They must be dry. For the frozen ones, thaw them and dry before using in the fritter mixture.
Any condiment of your choice. Anything creamy and cheesy goes really well. I love using vegan mayo. Also, sweet chilli sauce or ketchup is a good option.
More Delicious Dishes
If you like this recipe, here are some similar awesome recipes from the blog for you
Recipe Video – How to make Vegan Corn Fritters?Print
These Vegan Corn Fritters are loaded with wholesome veggies. It requires very little oil and makes for a quick snack or a light meal.
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 cup grated and diced veggies (carrots, zucchini, red bell pepper, onions)
- 1/2 cup Sweet Corns Kernels, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs (mint, coriander, basil)
- 1/4 cup Besan gram flour/chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour/maida
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder or flakes
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Put a big sieve or colander on a big bowl. Add grated veggies, corn, and herbs. Then add salt to it and let the veggies sit for 15 minutes until they release water. Veggies should look soft and wilted. Squeeze out any extra water. The less moisture there is, the less soggy the fritters are going to be.
- In a mixing bowl, add the veggies, chickpea flour (besan), all-purpose flour (maida), cornflour. Mix well.
- To this mixture, add only a little salt as we added some earlier too, red chilli powder, garam masala, baking soda, and lemon juice. Mix it and using your palms, scoop out 3 tbsp of the mixer and make round patties.
- Grease a flat pan with some oil. Over medium heat, pan-fry until golden brown which takes around 2-3 minutes. You should be able to lift the fritter with a spatula once it’s done. Flip and cook the other side in the same way.