There’s something so comforting about having a warm bowl of noodles or noodle soup, especially during winters. I, for one, love having noodles for a quick weekday dinner. And adding rich Thai flavours to my noodle game was a big win both in terms of cooking and consuming. Thai flavours are predominantly salty, spicy, sweet and sour and so layered where one flavour may be dominating and others are subtle but in almost all dishes you will find at least two of these flavours. Kind of like Indian food but so different from Indian food at the same time.
Veg Pad Thai Noodles with Peanuts and Carrots Soup Recipe is one of the most delicious ones I’ve tried making and the all the incredible ingredients just
Serves 2 people
Cooking time 20 minutes
- 150 g pad thai rice noodles* (a little over 3 cups of
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts, dry roasted
- 1 tbsp sesame or peanut oil*
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, minced or crushed
- 1 tsp chilli sauce*
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp peanut butter, unsweetened
- 1 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrots
- 1⁄3 cup sliced
broccoli, stem trimmed and cut into about 1-inch pieces.
- Read the instructions on your pad thai rice noodle box or package and cook accordingly. Noodles used in this recipe were soaked in cold water for 10 minutes and then boiled or cooked for 15 minutes on low flame.
- Dry roast peanut in a pan over low to medium heat until they are crisp. Crush or cut them into tiny pieces.
- In a pan, add sesame or peanut oil and once it’s warm add crushed or minced ginger and garlic and allow it to saute for a minute and get a little brown.
- Add chilli sauce and mix. Add soy sauce, vinegar, honey or maple syrup and mix again. Add unsweetened peanut butter and finally coconut milk and mix everything well and keep stirring. Cook the sauce for about 2-3 mins and add salt.
- Turn off the heat and add lemon juice.
- Add grated carrots and steamed or boiled broccoli*.
- Add roasted peanut (save some for garnishing) and mix the sauce with vegetables and peanut well.
- Finally, add cooked or boiled pad thai rice noodles
alongsidethe sauce and veggies or mix the noodles with the sauce and serve.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts, lemon sliced, coriander leaves or grated carrot.
- Pad thai noodles
isavailable in stores in most cities and towns in noodles and pasta aisle but if it is not available in yours, you can easily order it online.
sesameor peanut oil is not available, use any regular oil. The flavour may vary a little.
- In this recipe, green chilli sauce is used. Red chilli sauce, chilli garlic sauce or just red chilli powder can also be used.
- You can choose to cook carrots and broccoli with the sauce for a couple of minutes. In this recipe, raw grated carrots were added and steamed broccoli was added because I don’t mind the raw texture or taste of these veggies.