Urad Dal Vada are lentil fritters which are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, mildly spicy, aromatic and so tasty
- 1 cup urad dal (husked and split black gram)
- 1–2 cups of water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped (or according to taste)
- A handful of coriander or dhania leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp jeera or cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder (or according to taste)
- Salt to taste
- 2–3 tbsp til or sesame seeds
- 2–3 cups neutral oil to fry the vada
- Soak urad dal 5 hours or overnight .
- One done, strain the water and grind urad dal thoroughly to make a fine thick paste. Add some water if necessary.
- Add salt, chili, jeera powder, garam masala, onion, coriander leaves. Mix all ingredients well.
- Apply water on your palms so the batter doesn’t stick and make small balls. Coat the top side with sesame seeds. (Note – you can also flatten them in a flat round, a thin patty with a hole in the center)
- Deep fry the vada in oil until they turn golden brown on both sides.