Peanut Sweet Rice With Coconut is aromatic, nutty (thanks to crunchy peanuts), and has a subtle sweetness. It’s a quick meal option made with only 7 ingredients!
If you’ve got a sweet tooth and don’t mind your meal to turn into borderline dessert, join the party! This Peanut Sweet Rice With Coconut is one of the best leftover-rice dishes you can make which is not on the savoury side. Without a doubt, the crunchy toasted peanuts in ghee is what makes this dish extra yummy. It really is the star ingredient of the dish. You will love the nuttiness it brings to this rice dish which compliments the subtle sweetness.
The freshly ground cardamom powder and fennel seeds lends a beautiful aroma. Freshly crushing whole cardamom pod is highly recommended over cardamom powder. This is because a freshly ground whole spice imparts a stronger flavour and aroma.
Why should you make Peanut Sweet Rice With Coconut?
- Good use of left-over rice
- Can double as a dessert
- Uses only 7 simple pantry-friendly ingredients
- Takes around 15 minutes to make
- Smells amazing and tastes heavenly
Tips and Tricks
- Rice – Depending on how you like your rice, cook it for an hour in advance and let it sit in its steam to use left-over rice. This will ensure that you get those distinct grains. If you use freshly cooked warm rice, it will probably stick and make your dish soggy. (check out the FAQS below to see how to cook perfect rice.)
- Salt – Consider adding a pinch of salt if you want to bring out and elevate the sweet flavour. A little bit of salt in any sweet dish makes it taste sweeter resulting in adding less sweetener than required which is always a good thing, right?
- Vegan alternative – To make this dish vegan, just replace ghee with coconut oil.
First, the ratio of rice to water should be correct. I suggest two ways to determine this ratio. One is measured and second might sound arbitrary but works every time.
One – For one part rice, use two parts water. So, for 1 cup of rice, put two cups of water.
Second – The level of water should be one inch above the level of rice in the pan you’re cooking them in.
– Cook rice on high first, once the water starts boiling – lower the heat to medium-low.
– Cook until the rice at the top starts to look grainy and distinct from one another.
– Take off the heat and let it sit in its steam for 10-15 minutes (it’s preferable to have a small hole in the lid to let the steam out or place the lid in a way that allows the steam to pass).
Sticky rice, as its name suggests is quite gummed and soggy. This dish however is very grainy. A lot of the main ingredients like peanuts, rice and sweetener might look the same but this dish has intrinsic Indian flavours due to the use of ghee, cardamom, fennel seeds and coconut.
Not necessarily. Roasting peanuts in ghee is the first step of this recipe.
Recipe Video – How to make Peanut Sweet Rice With Coconut?Print
Peanut Sweet Rice With Coconut
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 2 persons 1x
- Method: Stovetop
- Diet: Vegetarian
Peanut Sweet Rice With Coconut is aromatic, nutty (thanks to crunchy peanuts), and has a subtle sweetness. It’s a quick meal option made with only 7 ingredients.
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ½ cup peanuts
- 10–12 cardamom pods or choti ilaichi, freshly ground
- 1 tsp fennel seeds or saunf
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 2 tbsp jaggery powder or whole cane sugar
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Heat ghee in a pan on medium heat. Roast peanuts for around 5 mins on medium-low heat until they are crunchy.
- Then add freshly ground cardamom powder and fennel seeds.
- Add cooked rice followed by jaggery powder. Mix well.
- Take the pan off the heat and garnish with desiccated coconut.
Add a pinch of salt to bring out the sweetness in this dish. Read more about in the Tips and Tricks section of this post.