To begin with, ever since I was a child I was really fascinated by the sirke wale pyaaz or pickled onions served in most north Indian restaurants along with the main food menu. Not only did I like the deep magenta colour, but also appreciated the taste and aroma of these freshly pickled onions. But as a kid, I always thought they are really difficult to make. Of course eventually, I got to know how easy and simple the pickled onion recipe is. Therefore, now for the love of it, I always have a jar of pickled onions or sirke wale pyaaz in my fridge.
Deep pink in colour, salty, sweet & tarty in taste, crunchy pickled onions/ sirke wale pyyaz are served in North Indian restaurants along with the main course. Hence, if you like them too, do try this super delicious and easy to follow pickled onions recipe. Of course, you can either cut the onions in the form of long ribbons, round concentric circles or whole round shallot. Whatever the shapes and forms are, a super delicious taste is guaranteed. Moreover, you enjoy these sirke wale pyaaz along with your meals, inside your sandwiches, wraps, burgers or tacos, in your salads etc.
Additionally, if you liked this Pickled Onions recipe here’s some North Indian recipes that go so well with pickled onions, for example, Butter Paneer Pulao, Methi Matar Malai and Palak Paneer.
Finally, if you make this Pickled Onions recipe or any other recipe from my blog, please share the pictures with me by tagging me @life_is_delicious_ on Instagram. By all means, I love seeing your beautiful recreations. 🙂
Serves 400 gm
Cooking time 15 minutes
Pickled Onions Recipe
- 3 large onions
- 2 green chilli, sliced vertically
- 4 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup of vinegar or sirka (white, balsamic or apple)
- 1 tsp salt (or according to taste)
- ⅓ cup of water
- 1 tsp sugar (or according to taste)
- 1 tbsp of mixed cumin (jeera) and coriander (dhaniya) seeds
HOW TO MAKE PICKLED ONIONS RECIPE
- First, in a clean, dry glass jar add vinegar (white, balsamic or apple) or sirka, water, salt, sugar and mix.
- Next, add the cumin (jeera) and coriander (dhaniya) seeds in the jar.
- Then, slice the onions and green chilli.
- Further, add sliced onions, green chilli and garlic cloves in the jar.
- Then, seal the jar with the lid and shake it so that liquid is coated evenly.
- Finally, keep aside the jar for 3 days at room temperature shaking it once or twice daily. Pickled onions are ready.