Onion & Tomato Uttapam is, what we like to call, a cousin in the dosa family but of course softer, thicker, and comparatively smaller in size but no less delicious and sumptuous. Onion & Tomato Uttapam makes for an excellent, nutritious, and light breakfast accompanied by coconut, peanut, or tomato chutneys or even sambhar.
Onion & Tomato Uttapam recipe is so simple and just needs a bit of prep for the batter. The beauty of its batter is that it’s so versatile and can be used for making different varieties of Dosas as well and for Idlis
In this Onion & Tomato Uttapam recipe, we’ve kept it simple and chose onion and tomato topping but another option is to go with mix vegetable uttapam where you can mix the veggies with the batter as well as sprinkle them on the top.
For the batter
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 cup of urad dal
- 3 tbsp of chana dal
- ½ cup of poha or flattened rice
- 1 tsp methi or fenugreek seeds
- Water as needed
- Salt to taste
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 tomato, chopped finely
- A handful of
dhaniyaor coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
For the batter
- Soak the urad dal, chana dal and methi seeds in one bowl and rice and
pohain another bowl overnight or for at least 5-6 hours.
- In the morning or after 5-6 hours blend all the soaked ingredients and mix them all together adding water if needed.
- Add more water to bring it to the nice flowing consistency.
- Leave the batter in a warm place for 6-8 hours for it to ferment.
- After 6-8 hours, notice that the batter has risen to double its quantity and is bubbly. Add salt and beat for batter for 2 minutes before use.
For making Uttapam
- On a hot pan or tawa, spread a one ladle full of batter and gently spread it into a thick circle.
- Let it cook for one minute and then sprinkle the chopped onions, tomatoes, coriander, and green chillies evenly.
- Let the base of the uttapam cook for about 3-5 minutes on low to medium heat and let it turn golden brown.
- At this point flip the uttapam and cook the other side for about a minute.
- Serve the uttapam with creamy peanut and coconut chutney or tangy tomato chutney.