Dipped in savoury & sweet vinegar this Instant Beetroot Pickle with Jaggery is a delicious addition to salads, sandwiches or just eaten plain with cheese.
- 2–3 beetroots, cooked
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp jaggery powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- A bunch of dill leaves
- 3–4 garlic, chopped
- Cook beetroots in a pressure cooker until 1-2 whistles.
- Let them cool. Remove the head and peel them. Chop into slices.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, mix water and apple cider vinegar. Let it boil.
- While it’s boiling, add salt, jaggery powder, black peppercorns, mustard seeds and red chilli flakes.
- Then, when this mixture is cooled down, in a glass jar add chopped beetroot, garlic and dill leaves.
- Pour the vinegar mixture and close the jar.
- You can consume it after an hour but to ferment it further let it sit for 24 hours and then you can store in refrigerator for atleast a month.
- Add more water if you want the pungency to be mild.
- Feel free to adjust the sweetness according to your taste.
- Avoid using plastic or metal container to store this pickle. Use glass jars or containers as glass is inert and doesn’t react to with the vinegar in the pickle.
Keywords: vegan, beetroot, pickle, instast