I have to be honest here. I am not a fan of plain beets mainly because of its earthy taste. BUT this Instant Beetroot Pickle with Jaggery makes me wanna have beets all day every day. You guys, this pickle tastes divine. It’s perfect in a salad because it contributes a fun layer of sweet pungent flavour and hides the earthy and bitter flavour of beets. Also, you can have it on a toast with cheese (upcoming recipe hint!). It’s a good probiotic as well which is so good for your gut health.
For this Instant Beetroot Pickle with Jaggery, I love the ingredient list because I managed to keep it short and clean. I loved replacing sugar with jaggery powder. It’s a much more wholesome alternative and luckily beets are naturally sweet, so you don’t have to add a lot of sweeteners anyways. I feel replacing white vinegar with apple cider vinegar also adds to the nutritional value and controls the pungency.Print
Dipped in savoury & sweet vinegar this Instant Beetroot Pickle with Jaggery is a delicious addition to salads, sandwiches or just eaten plain with cheese.
- 2–3 beetroots, cooked
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp jaggery powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- A bunch of dill leaves
- 3–4 garlic, chopped
- Cook beetroots in a pressure cooker until 1-2 whistles.
- Let them cool. Remove the head and peel them. Chop into slices.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, mix water and apple cider vinegar. Let it boil.
- While it’s boiling, add salt, jaggery powder, black peppercorns, mustard seeds and red chilli flakes.
- Then, when this mixture is cooled down, in a glass jar add chopped beetroot, garlic and dill leaves.
- Pour the vinegar mixture and close the jar.
- You can consume it after an hour but to ferment it further let it sit for 24 hours and then you can store in refrigerator for atleast a month.
- Add more water if you want the pungency to be mild.
- Feel free to adjust the sweetness according to your taste.
- Avoid using plastic or metal container to store this pickle. Use glass jars or containers as glass is inert and doesn’t react to with the vinegar in the pickle.
Keywords: vegan, beetroot, pickle, instast