Frothy, fragrant and flavourful – this Indian Spiced buttermilk is a refreshing summer drink. It’s made from fresh curd/yogurt mixed with aromatic spices and herbs. This cold beverage is so good for your digestion as well. Moreover, it serves as a perfect coolant on hot and humid afternoons. It is nutritious and delicious at the same time and the salty-sour taste gives a break from all usual sweet cold beverages.
Not to mention, kids and adults love this Indian Spiced Buttermilk and it is so easy and quick to make with easily available Indian ingredients. Not only is this cost-effective that way, but also you can make according to your own taste preference. Do you like it tangier, add more lemon juice, saltier? add salt, frothier? beat the curd for a couple more minutes.
If you liked this Indian Spiced Buttermilk recipe and looking for more such summer beverages recipes, I’m sure you’ll also lovePrint
Made from yogurt mixed with aromatic spices and herbs, this frothy & fragrant Indian Spiced buttermilk is a refreshing, delicious summer drink.
- 2 cups curd or yogurt
- 1–2 cups cold water
- ½ tsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin or jeera seed
- 10–12 curry leaves or kadi patta
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1–2 green chillies, sliced
- Pinch of hing or asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- ½ lemon (just in case the curd isn’t sour)
- 1 tbsp sugar (according to taste)
- Ice cubes as needed
- First, in a blender, add curd, water, and salt. Blend until frothy for about 2-3 minutes.
- Then, in a small pan, prepare to temper by adding ghee and heating it. Roast cumin seeds, grated ginger, curry leaves, green chillies and asafoetida.
- Next, add this tempering to the frothy buttermilk. Mix well.
- Finally, add more ice cubes or refrigerate for a couple of hours and serve it chilled.
- Also, you can add lemon water in case the curd isn’t sour.