Rabri is a lesser sweet but equally delicious companion of Jalebi. It is made essentially of milk where the milk is thickened and it’s very creamy and has many layers of cream. It has beautiful aromas of cardamom and saffron in it.
Rabri recipe is extremely easy to make but requires some time, attention and patience. It requires around 1-2 hours to prepare and needs constant stirring s basically one cannot leave it alone.
If you like this recipe, please take a look at some other amazing sweets/desserts recipe on the blog
- Homemade Kesar Jalebi
- Anjeer ki Barfi
- Khajur (Dates) Barfi
- Rasmalai French Toast With Kesar Filling
- Gujiya Recipe
- Protein-rich laddus
- Chaulai /Rajgira Ka Halwa
- Coconut Laddus
Flavoured with saffron, it is made when milk is thickened for hours until it’s very creamy and has many layers of cream.
- 1½ liters of 5½ cups of full cream milk
- 6 elaichi or cardamom powder
- 6 strands of kesar or saffron
- 4 tbsp of jaggery
- 1 tsp of rose water
- 10 pista or pistashios for garnishing
- In a deep and wide pan (with a thick bottom), add milk and boil it on high flame.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium. Notice that a layer of cream begins to form on the top. With a spatula, collect the cream and move the whole layer of cream and stick it to the inner sides of the pan. Keep stirring the milk, and don’t let it stick on the bottom of the pan.
- Repeat the process of collecting of layer of cream on the sides many times until very little thick milk is left and also keep stirring on the bottom of the pan.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, and kesar or saffron to the thickened milk now.ou will notice the milk starts to turn yellowish due to kesar or saffron strands. When the milk reduces to 1/4th of its original quantity turn off the heat.
- Let it cool and then scrap the cream layer from the side of the pan and mix with the thickened milk gently. Garnish with pistachios and saffron strands.