Hummus is a smooth, creamy Mediterranean dip that is now extremely popular internationally. Hummus tastes amazing with cut veggies or any types of bread especially pita bread. The main ingredient of hummus is chickpea which is an amazing source of protein for vegans and vegetarians. This hummus recipe is simple and quick and almost all its ingredients can be easily found in the Indian kitchen.Print
Hummus is a smooth, creamy Mediterranean dip made of mainly chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic.
- 2 cups chickpeas, boiled or cooked (check out a tip regarding this in recipe notes below)
- 1 tbsp Tahini (sesame seed paste), for Tahini replacement check recipe notes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp red chilli powder or flakes
- Salt to taste
- Soak the chickpeas overnight (or around 7 hours) and then boil them in a pressure cooker until 1 whistle on high flame and 2 whistles on low flame. (you can also used canned chickpeas direcly)
- Let the chickpea cool and then add them in a mixer grinder or food processor.
- Add Tahini (sesame seed paste) (for tahini replacement check recipe notes).
- Add garlic cloves, lemon juice, red chili powder and salt and olive oil.
- Grind all the ingredients until a smooth paste is formed. Add more olive oil if needed or some water.
- Tahini is a sesame seed (white til) paste. If tahini is not available, you can roast white sesame seeds (white til) until aromatic and slightly brown and grind it to form a powder or a paste.
- An amazing tip for a very smooth hummus is that you can remove the skin from all the cooked chickpeas. This might take some time and effort but is totally worth it.