Are you bored of plain old yogurt or looking for ways to step up your raita game a bit? Well, in that case, I’d suggest next time you have a gathering of family and friends for a meal, make this lip-smacking delicious Dahi Vada recipe. Dahi Vada is essentially fried dumplings of sorts made out of urad dal or lentil. Plus, it is dipped in herby yogurt/curd and topped with tangy Imli and Mint Chutney, some bhujia, chaat masala and pomegranate seeds. Surely, it is nothing short of a treat.
Commonly, in North India, it is made during festivals or any family gatherings. Also, another version of it is called Dahi Bhalla which is very popular street food in India. Further, this Dahi Bhalla recipe needs a little bit of prior preparation which includes the preparation of both Imli chutney and Mint-Coriander Chutney. Also, before you assemble the whole thing together, fry the
Additionally, if you like this recipe and looking for more Indian recipes, I’d suggest you check out the following on this blog
Finally, if you make this Dahi Vada recipe or any other recipe from my blog, please share the pictures with me by tagging me @thatdeliciousdish on Instagram. By all means, I love seeing your beautiful recreations.Print
Dahi Vada Recipe | How To Make Dahi Vada
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Vegetarian
A very popular and delicious Indian street food, Dahi vada is also relished in Indian homes during festivals and family gatherings.
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 2 inches ginger, chopped
- Oil (for frying)
- 3 cups of water
- Salt as per taste
- Pinch of hing or asafoetida
- 2 cups yoghurt or dahi, whisked
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ cup Imli Chutney
- ½ cup Mint- Coriander Green Chutney
- 2–3 tbsp chaat masala
- ¼ cup bhujia
- ¼ cup pomegranate or anar
- 2–3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- First, prepare the Imli chutney and green mint coriander chutney. (Click on their respective links to check the full recipe)
- Then, wash and soak the urad dal for 5 hours in water.
- Once done, drain the water, then add urad dal in a grinder along with ginger, green chilli, a pinch of salt, and a 3-4 tbsp of water. Grind into a fine paste.
- Then, whisk the batter for 5-6 minutes to make it as light and airy as possible in order to make the best vadas.
- Next, wet your hands and take some vada batter. Making a small dumpling-like shape, fry them all in oil until they are light golden.
- Then, in a big bowl, add water, salt, and hing. Mix well. And soak the vadas in this water for 15-20 minutes.
- When done, take them out and squeeze them well to drain out any excess water.
- Now, let’s assemble the Dahi vada. In a bowl, add 2-3 vadas, soak them in sweet, salty curd or dahi, add imli chutney, mint coriander chutney,.
- Then, for the toppings, sprinkle chaat masala, some bhujia, pomegranate and chopped coriander leaves.
- Let it chill in the refrigerator for a while and serve chilled.
That post was really excellent. I appreciate your sharing the recipe.keep sharing. Sri Mayyia Caterers dates back to 1953, a nostalgic era where traditional Indian fare was a clear favourite, and every feast or celebration was incomplete without the mouthwatering delicacies. for further details pls visit our official website https://www.srimayyiacaterers.co.in/, Contact us @ +91 98450 38235/ +91 98454 9722225