Dahi Vada Recipe | How To Make Dahi Vada
To begin with, are you bored of plain old curd or looking for ways to step up your raita game a bit? Well, in that case, I’d suggest next time you have a gathering of family and friends for a meal, make this lip-smacking delicious Dahi Vada recipe. Dahi Vada is essentially fried dumplings of sorts made out of urad lentil. Plus, when dipped in herbed curd and topped with tangy Imli and Mint Chutney, some bhujia, chaat masala and pomegranate or anar, it is nothing short of a treat.
Commonly, in North India, it is made during festivals or any family gatherings. Also, another version of it is called Dahi Bhalla which is very popular street food in India. Further, this Dahi Bhalla recipe need a little bit of prior preparation which includes preparation of both Imli chutney and Mint-Coriander Chutney. Also, before you assemble the whole thing together, fry the
Additionally, if you like this recipe and looking for more North Indian recipes, I’d suggest you check out Methi Matar Malai, Chickpea Mushroom Curry with Spinach and Coconut Milk, Butter Paneer Pulao, Strawberry Raita on my blog.
Finally, if you make this Dahi Vada recipe or any other recipe from my blog, please share the pictures with me by tagging me @thatdeliciousdish on Instagram. By all means, I love seeing your beautiful recreations. 🙂
Serves 4 people
Cooking time 30 minutes
Dahi Vada Recipe
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 2 inches ginger, chopped
- Oil (for frying)
- 3 cups of water
- Salt as per taste
- Pinch of
- 2 cups yoghurt or
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ cup Imli Chutney
- ½ cup Mint- Coriander Green Chutney
- 2-3 tbsp chaat masala
- ¼ cup
- ¼ cup pomegranate or
- 2-3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
HOW TO MAKE DAHI VADA RECIPE
- First, prepare the Imli chutney and green mint coriander chutney. (Click on their respective links to check the full recipe)
- Then, wash and soak the urad dal for 5 hours in water.
- Once done, drain the water, then add urad dal in a grinder along with ginger, green chilli, a pinch of salt and a 3-4 tbsp of water. Grind into a fine paste.
- Then, whisk the batter for 5-6 minutes to make it as light and airy as possible in order to make best
- Next, wet your hands and take some vada batter. Making a small dumpling-like shape, fry them all in oil until they are
- Then, in a big bowl, add water, salt and
hing. Mix well. And soak the vadasin this water for 15-20 minutes.
- When done, take them out and squeeze them well to drain out any excess water.
- Now, let’s assemble the Dahi
vada. In a bowl, add 2-3 vadas, soak them in sweet, salty curd or dahi, add imlichutney, mint coriander chutney ,.
- Then, for the toppings, sprinkle chaat masala, some
bhujia, pomegranate or anarand chopped coriander leaves.
- Let it chill in the refrigerator for a while and serve chilled.