Coconut Veggie Stew | Healthy and Vegan
It’s that time of the year when soups and stews become a staple, thanks to the chilly nights of December. Coconut Veggie stew is rich and creamy yet so simple, satisfying and comforting. It is loaded with the goodness of many veggies and smooth texture of coconut milk.
Coconut Veggie stew makes for a cozy and hearty meal and can be relished rice, roti or quinoa. This recipe is very versatile and customizable as you can throw in as many veggies as you like and adjust the consistency by adding water to it.
Serves 2 people
Cooking time 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard or sarson seeds
- 10-15 curry leaves or kadi patta
- Pinch of asafoetida or hing
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-inch ginger, grated
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ½ to 1 cup water (according to preference)
- 2 cups chopped mix vegetables of choice – carrots, french beans, cauliflower, peas, spring onion, spinach, capsicum, potato, mushrooms etc.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan. When the oil is warm, add mustard seeds and asafoetida. When mustard seeds start to crackle, add curry leaves on low heat.
- Add grated ginger, chopped onions and sauté them till they are golden brown and translucent.
- Add tomatoes and sauté till they turn mushy.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, black pepper and cumin powder. Cook for 2-3 mins on low heat.
- Add coconut milk to it and mix well. Add water to adjust consistency according to your preference.
- Add chopped veggies to the stew gravy and cook for 10-15 minutes on low to medium heat until completely cooked.