I like dishes that are made quickly, are nutritious, can be enjoyed at breakfast and lunch alike and are made using simple accessible ingredients. And this Chickpea Tahini Toast marks all those checks for me. It also makes for a good weekday breakfast option provided you do a little preparation the night before. As a breakfast, it is a complete source of protein for vegetarians and vegans.
The star ingredients are Chickpeas and Tahini (I have a homemade tahini recipe here) which complement each other so well. I also added a generous amount of cumin powder that not only uplifts the flavours but also adds aroma. I don’t know if you’ve noticed or not but most of the ingredients are those used in hummus and that is on purpose. I wanted to mimic the awesome flavours of hummus but wanted the texture to be chewier. It’s better than spreading hummus on a toast because this dish also provides different textures along with flavours.Print
Isn’t it the best when your breakfast is aromatic, flavourful, crunchy and a bonus – mimics the flavours of hummus plus is a complete vegan protein source?
- 2 slices of whole-wheat bread
- 4 tbsp Tahini sauce (click here to see a homemade Tahini recipe)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4–5 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup cook chickpea or choley
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder, freshly ground
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- First, toast two slices of bread on a flat pan until crisp and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, add olive oil and saute crushed garlic.
- Once the garlic turns light brown, add cooked chickpeas. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cumin powder. Then add black pepper powder, red chilli flakes and salt.
- Cook on medium heat for 2-3 mins stirring in between.
- Then, switch off the heat and add lemon juice. Mix well. At this point you can crush some chickpeas so that it is easier to put on top of the toast.
- Next, on a toasted slice of bread, spread a generous amount of Tahini.
- On top of that, add the prepared spiced chickpeas.
- Drizzle the leftover tahini on top and sprinkle some red chilli flakes.