Isn’t it the best when your breakfast is aromatic, flavourful, crunchy and a bonus – mimics the flavours of hummus plus is a complete vegan protein source?
- 2 slices of whole-wheat bread
- 4 tbsp Tahini sauce (click here to see a homemade Tahini recipe)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4–5 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup cook chickpea or choley
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder, freshly ground
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- First, toast two slices of bread on a flat pan until crisp and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, add olive oil and saute crushed garlic.
- Once the garlic turns light brown, add cooked chickpeas. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cumin powder. Then add black pepper powder, red chilli flakes and salt.
- Cook on medium heat for 2-3 mins stirring in between.
- Then, switch off the heat and add lemon juice. Mix well. At this point you can crush some chickpeas so that it is easier to put on top of the toast.
- Next, on a toasted slice of bread, spread a generous amount of Tahini.
- On top of that, add the prepared spiced chickpeas.
- Drizzle the leftover tahini on top and sprinkle some red chilli flakes.
Keywords: vegan, toast, tahini, hummus, chickpeas