Penne Arrabiata / Red Sauce Pasta Recipe | How to make Red Sauce Pasta
To begin with, Penne Arrabiata or Red Sauce pasta (as it is commonly known in India) is a classic and one of the most popular pasta dishes which, of course, hails from Italy. Apparently, Penne Arrabiata’s spicy and tangy flavour makes it irresistible and a treat to your taste buds. Also, the pasta sauce made in this red sauce pasta recipe is made from scratch. Importantly, it is very easy to make and can be easily frozen for months to reuse at any time. Moreover, the red sauce pasta recipe is extremely simple and easy to make.
Finally, I have a fun fact for you. Evidently, ‘Penne’ means angry in Italian and that explains the spicy and hot taste of this delectable dish. Additionally, if you like this Penne Arrabiata / Red Sauce Pasta Recipe, I have other awesome and simple pasta recipes that you might love, like Spinach Pesto, Mushroom Aglio Olio, Classic Basil Pesto, Pepper Pasta.
Serves 2 people
Cooking time 30 minutes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 10-15 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 5-6 tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tsp fresh or dry basil leaves
- 1 tsp fresh or dry oregano leaves
- Salt as per taste
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 cup penne pasta, boiled
- 2 tbsp grated cheese
For boiling/cooking penne pasta–
- In a large saucepan, add 2-3 cups of water and boil it. Add penne pasta, salt and 1 tbsp of olive oil in it. Boil the pasta till it is cooked properly. Drain the pasta and save the stock (leftover water) to add to the sauce later.
For preparing sauce –
- Firstly, in a pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil. Add crushed garlic and onions.
- When the onions are translucent and brown, add tomato puree.
- Next, add the stock and make a thick sauce like paste.
- Cook for 5 mins and add basil and oregano leaves.
- Then, add salt, pepper, sugar and chilli flakes.
- Next, add penne pasta and cook for 15 mins.
- Finally, add grated cheese on top and serve.