Rich, creamy and hearty in texture and taste, Methi Matar Malai is one of my of the best options when you want to eat like royals.
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- 2–3 onions, very finely chopped
- 6–7 garlic cloves, finely crushed
- 1 inch fresh root ginger, finely grated
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 10 cashews
- 1 cup cream
- 150 gm methi or fenugreek leaves, chopped
- 250 gm matar or peas, boiled
- Firstly, heat oil in a pan. When the oil is warm, add cumin seeds, green chillies and asafoetida.
- Then, add ginger garlic paste and onions and sauté till they are brown and translucent.
- Next, add tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and garam masala and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Then, let this cooldown, add 10 cashews in it and grind it into a thick paste.
- Further, add the paste in the pan and add cream to it. Stir well.
- Add methi (fenugreek leaves) and matar (peas). Make sure you don’t add too much methi as it might turn the dish bitter.
- Cover the pan and cook for 8-10 mins on low heat.
- Finally, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- In order to make this dish vegan and healthier, replace the cream with coconut milk.
Keywords: methi, matar, curry, north indian, lunch, dinner